Connect with us


Centre Plan To Get Netaji’s Ashes In 90s Dropped On Riot Warning: Relative – dot newz



Aftab Seth, former Indian Ambassador to Japan, said Netaji was held in high esteem by the Japanese


The P V Narasimha Rao government in the 1990s had been on the verge of bringing to India the ashes, believed to be of Subhas Chandra Bose now kept at the Renkoji Temple in Japan, but was dissuaded from doing so due to an intelligence report, which warned that controversy surrounding the issue could lead to riots in Kolkata, a grandnephew of Netaji said.

Making a fervent plea for bringing back the ashes kept in an urn in the Buddhist shrine in Tokyo since September 1945, Ashish Ray, also an author and researcher on the legendary freedom fighter, said the legal rights to them should belong to Netaji’s daughter Prof. Anita Bose Pfaf, an economist living in Germany, and the Indian government should allow her to take charge of it.

Mr Ray was speaking at a virtual seminar to commemorate the 78th anniversary of the founding of the Azad Hind Government by Bose, on Thursday, organised by the Indo-Japan Samurai Centre in collaboration with the Ministry of External Affairs.

The author whose books include “Laid to Rest” on the controversy over Netaji’s death, said a high-powered committee that included Pranab Mukherjee, who later became President, was set up by then Prime Minister Narasimha Rao to look into the issue of bringing back the ashes.

However, “the Intelligence Bureau came up with a report warning of possible riots in Kolkata” over the issue, as many in the country believed in theories that Bose did not die in a plane crash on August 18, 1945 in Taipei, he said.

Among the theories floated are that Netaji survived the crash or it never happened and he was later incarcerated in a Soviet prison. Other hypotheses have it that Bose returned to India and lived as a ‘Sadhu’ (monk), which has even spawned a popular Bengali film.

Prof. Sugata Bose, former MP and Gardiner Chair of Oceanic History and Affairs at Harvard University and author of several scholarly works on Bose, also speaking at the seminar, said “the meaningless controversy over Netaji’s death should end”.

Prof. Bose, also a grandnephew of the Independence movement leader, who had established a provisional government for free India in Singapore and raised an army that fought the British to enter the northeast, however, said Netaji and his remains were a national issue and not merely a family matter.

Pointing out that “Bose was the only frontline leader of the national Independence movement to have died on the battlefield”, he, too, sought a formal closure to the issue of his death.

Supporting the demand to recognise Bose’s death, T V Mohandas Pai, chairman of Manipal Global Education and former director of Infosys, said as India would be celebrating the leader’s 125th birth anniversary next year, it would be “fitting to construct a prominent memorial in the country’s capital to Netaji”.

He sought a social media and lobbying campaign among the country’s legislators to “install a statue of Netaji under the canopy near India Gate in Delhi”. The canopy to the east of India Gate had a statue of King George V of Britain, which was removed after Independence. Since then, it has stood empty.

Aftab Seth, former Indian Ambassador to Japan, also speaking at the virtual seminar, noted that Netaji was held in high esteem by the Japanese and he had been invited to speak at the Diet, Japan’s Parliament, a rare honour for any global leader.

Even as late as the 2001 Gujarat earthquake, former officers of the Hikari Kikan, the Japanese liaison office to the Azad Hind Government, had come forward with donations citing their links to India through Bose, he added.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


High Altitude Areas In Uttarakhand Receive Season’s First Snowfall – dot newz




The sky remained overcast in the plains with isolated light showers at several places (File)


The Himalayan temple of Kedarnath and the high altitude areas of Chamoli district received the season’s first snowfall on Thursday while it drizzled in the lower areas intensifying the chill across the state.

Besides the Kedarnath shrine in Rudraprayag district, the Musk Deer Park, Valley of Flowers and the Nanda Devi National Park in Chamoli district also received snowfall, officials in Dehradun said.

The sky remained overcast in the plains with isolated light showers at several places, including state capital Dehradun.

The temperature recorded in Dehradun on Thursday was 15.4 degrees Celsius, Tehri 10 degrees Celsius, Pantnagar 18.4 degrees Celsius, Mukteshwar 8.4 degrees Celsius and Almora 13.4 degrees Celsius, the MeT Department in Dehradun said.

Source link

Continue Reading


37 Years On, Bhopal Gas Tragedy Victims Still Await Adequate Compensation – dot newz




“In 1984, Congress was in power in Madhya Pradesh and at Centre”: Bhopal Gas Tragedy Minister


Thirty-seven years after the Bhopal gas tragedy, termed as the world’s worst industrial disaster, the survivors and the family of the dead are still waiting to be compensated fairly with an organisation working for them claiming that each victim has so far received less than one-fifth of the allotted sum.

The leak of methyl isocyanate, a toxic gas, from the pesticide plant of Union Carbide on the intervening night of December 2 and 3, 1984, had killed over 3,000 people and left 1.02 lakh others affected at that time. However, the number of affected later rose to over 5.70 lakh.

Talking to PTI, Madhya Pradesh’s Bhopal Gas Tragedy Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Vishvas Sarang said, “In 1984, the Congress was in power in Madhya Pradesh and at the Centre. The two governments did not put forth the case of the victims in a right manner to enable them to get more compensation.”

Bhopal Gas Peedith Sangharsh Sahayog Samiti (BGPSSS) co-convener ND Jayaprakash said the Supreme Court assisted settlement on February 14-15, 1989 worth Rs 705 crore was based on the assumption that only around 3,000 persons died and 1,02,000 were affected.

“This compensation was a complete sham as each gas victim ended up being given less than one-fifth of the sum allotted even as per the terms of that unjust settlement,” he added.

When asked to explain, he said that the financial aid was USD 470 million in 1989. The dollars turned into more than Rs 3,000 crore in 2004, when the disbursements started.

“But the number of the victims swelled to 5.73 lakh and this amount was distributed among them. So, each victim got one-fifth of the compensation,” he added.

“The failure on the part of the Supreme Court to hear the long-pending curative petition against the unjust settlement of 1989, has had an adverse impact on the interests of the gas victims,” he said in a media statement.

The curative petition (civil), which was filed by the Union of India on December 3, 2010 to challenge the unjust settlement of 1989 and to seek additional sum of at least another Rs 7,724 crore as compensation was last listed before the Constitution Bench of the Court on January 29 last year, he said.

“However, the hearing was postponed to February 11 last year. Sadly, the matter was never listed on that date or ever since then,” he said.

Failure to dispose of the curative petition has also meant the indefinite postponement of the hearing of the Special Leave Petition (SLP) filed on March 17, 2010 by eight members of Bhopal Gas Peedith Mahila Udyog Sangathan (BGPMUS) and BGPSSS, he said.

In the SLP, the two NGOs have sought enhancement of settlement sum by a factor of five in terms of the magnitude of the disaster as assessed by the claim courts and in terms of the gravity of injuries suffered by the gas victims on the basis of their medical records, Jayaprakash said.

Failure to dispose of the pending curative petition and the SLP for over a decade has effectively denied the gas-victims several thousands of crores of additional compensation that they are legitimately entitled to, he added.

In the curative petition, the Centre has sought Rs 7,724 crore as additional funds from successor firms of US-based Union Carbide Corporation, now owned by Dow Chemicals, for giving compensation to victims of the Bhopal gas tragedy.

The Centre, in its plea, is seeking a direction to Union Carbide and other firms for Rs 7,722 crore additional amount over and above the earlier settlement amount of USD 470 million in 1989 for paying compensation to the gas tragedy victims.

On June 7, 2010, a local court had convicted seven executives of Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) to two years of imprisonment in connection with the incident. The then UCC chairman, Warren Anderson, was the prime accused in the case but did not appear for the trial. On February 1, 1992, the Bhopal CJM court had declared him an absconder. He died in the US in 2014. 

Source link

Continue Reading


5 Contacts Of Bengaluru Omicron Patient Test Positive For Covid, Isolated – dot newz





Five contacts of an Omicron patient have turned out to be Covid positive, Karnataka announced today, shortly after the Union health ministry said the first patients of the new Covid variant have been found in the state. The patients have been isolated and their samples have been sent for genome testing, Karnataka said amid concern over the highly infectious strain that has set off global alarm.

One of the two initial patients is a 46-year-old health worker from Bengaluru, who developed symptoms of fever and body ache on November 21.

He tested positive the following day and was admitted to hospital; his sample was sent for genome sequencing on the same day.  But three days later he was discharged.

After extensive contact tracing, the Karnataka government said he had 13 direct contacts and more than 250 secondary contacts.

The other confirmed Omicron patient is a 66-year-old South African national who came to India with a negative Covid report.

The man, who received both vaccine doses, tested positive on arrival and was asymptomatic, following which he was told to self-isolate.

A week later, with a negative Covid report from a private lab, he flew to Dubai. Samples from his 24 primary and 240 secondary contacts have returned negative test results.

Source link

Continue Reading


Copyright © 2017 Dot Newz | Developed by MCVP Group 8