Connect with us

National

“First Step Towards Gender Equality” In Forces: Army Chief On Women In NDA – dot newz

Published

on


Gen MM Naravane said training would remain the same for women cadets in NDA.

Pune:

Chief of Army Staff General M M Naravane on Friday said as the National Defence Academy (NDA) opens its doors to women cadets, it is expected that they will be welcomed with the same sense of fair play and professionalism for which the Indian armed forces are known world-over.

Women’s induction will be the “first step towards gender equality” in the armed forces, and “at least 40 years down the line” women would in the same position where he is, the army chief said.

He was addressing the cadets after reviewing the passing-out-parade of the 141st course of the NDA here.

“As we open the portals of the NDA for women cadets, we expect you to welcome them with the same sense of fair play and professionalism as Indian armed forces are known world over,” Gen Naravane said.

Last month, the Supreme Court allowed women candidates to take the NDA entrance exam in November this year.

Interacting with media persons after the parade, Gen Naravane said that as women are being inducted into NDA, he is sure that they will perform better than their male counterparts.

“This is just the first step towards gender equality as the army has always been at the forefront of all initiatives that have been taken in the country. As a result of this, they will also get empowered. They will hold more challenging assignments,” he added.

“It’s not that we don’t have women officers. We already have women officers undergoing training at OTA (Officers Training Academy) at Chennai. They are exceedingly doing well. I am sure that the Academy will continue to prosper and flourish and bring fame and glory,” Gen Naravane said.

Asked about how he sees the role of women in the armed forces in the next 20 to 30 years, he said, “At least 40 years down the line, they will be standing where I am standing.”

To a question on whether there will be any infrastructural changes in view of women joining the NDA, he said that infrastructure will be slightly changed as per the requirements, but the training would remain the same.

“As far as training is concerned that will not be any different. The training will be held jointly and there will be no difference in the training standards. The same regime of the officers training at OTA will be followed,” he said.

During his speech, the army chief also appealed the cadets to keep themselves abreast of new technology to counter the contemporary challenges.

He said he was greatly honoured to review the passing-out-parade.

“A little over 42 years back, when I stood as a cadet at the same drill square as you stand today, little I could have imagined that I would be reviewing this parade,” he said.

“From here on, you will step into the respective career service academies for more focused military training. You will don different uniforms, but always remember that no single service by itself can fight and win modern wars,” he added.

Gen Naravane also thanked the parents for believing in the armed forces as a worthy career for their children.

“You have raised them with love and affection, now we have taken on that role. They were your children till yesterday, they are ours now on. We should nurture them, cherish them and even admonish them but we shall always be with them in sun and snow, in bad times and good and in war and in peace,” he said.

The army chief also said that cadets often think the days of serious studies “are behind now”. “However, new developments and niche technologies are transforming the very character of war faster than ever before. Therefore it is very important that you keep yourselves abreast with these changes through regular professional courses,” he said.

“The physical stamina needs to be matched with technical prowess and constant thirst for knowledge,” Gen Naravane added.

While speaking to reporters, he also said as far as the induction of new technology in the armed forces is concerned, India is in no way behind any developed country.

“We have the best of the equipment that is available and it will be very heartening to know most of the state-of-the-art technology and systems, especially IT-related and surveillance related equipment have been brought from the Indian companies, from small start-ups, from MSMEs,” he said.

Over 1,000 cadets participated in the parade of which 305 cadets were from the passing out course. This included 220 Army cadets, 41 Naval cadets, and 44 Air Force cadets including 19 cadets from friendly foreign countries.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

New ‘Made-In-India’ Missile Successfully Tested, To Strengthen Navy – dot newz

Published

on

By


The missile has an operational range of 50 to 60 km, said DRDO.

Balasore:

India on Tuesday successfully flight tested the indigenously developed new Vertical Launch Short Range Surface-to-Air Missile (VLSRSAM) from the coast off Balasore, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) official said.

The quick reaction surface-to-air-missile missile developed by DRDO was test launched from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur at about 3.08 pm from a vertical launcher against an electronic target at a very low altitude.

The flight path of the missile along with its health parameters were monitored using a number of tracking instruments deployed by ITR, Chandipur.

All the sub-systems performed as per expectation and the test launch was monitored by senior DRDO and Indian Navy officials, the DRDO said.

The missile has an operational range of 50 to 60 km and features mid course inertial guidance through fiber optic gyroscope and active radar homing in terminal phase, it said.

The launch was conducted to validate integrated operation of all weapon system components including the vertical launcher unit with controller, canisterised flight vehicle, weapon control system and others required for future launches of the missile from Indian Naval ships.

The test launch was monitored by senior officials from the DRDO and Indian Navy, it said. The first trial was conducted on February 22, 2021 and Tuesday’s fight test was a confirmatory trial to prove the consistent performance of the configuration and integrated operation, it said.

“RM Shri @rajnathsigh has congratulated @DRDO_India, @indianavy and industry for the successful flight test of Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile. He said that this system would further enhance defence capability of Indian naval Ships against aerial threats,” RMO (defence ministry) India said in its official twitter post.

Secretary to the department of defence research and development and DRDO chairman G Satheesh Reddy complimented the teams involved in the successful flight test and said that this has paved the way for integration of the weapon system onboard Indian Naval Ships.

Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik tweeted “Congratulate @DRDO_India and @indiannavy on successful flight testing of Vertical Launch Shrort Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) from Chandipur, off the coast of #Odisha.”

On Tuesday morning ahead of the test firing of the tactical missile, the Balasore district administration as a safety measure temporarily shifted more than 4,500 people residing within 2.5 km radius of the launch pad No 3 of the ITR from where the weapon with a dummy pay load was positioned and launched.

A district revenue official said, “On the request of ITR authority these people residing in six hamlets in close proximity to the ITR launch site had to be temporarily shifted to nearby shelter centers with compensation. They will return to their homes after DRDO gives the green signal for it.”

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)





Source link

Continue Reading

National

India Is No.1 Food Supplier To Arab Nations After 15 Years – dot newz

Published

on

By


The Arab world is among Brazil’s most important trade partners.

Sao Paulo:

India surpassed Brazil in food exports to the League of Arab States for the first time in 15 years as the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted trade flows in 2020, according to data provided by the Arab-Brazil Chamber of Commerce to Reuters on Tuesday.

The Arab world is among Brazil’s most important trade partners, but its distance from those markets took its toll as the pandemic rattled global logistics.

Brazil accounted for 8.15% of the total agribusiness products imported by the 22 League members last year, whereas India captured 8.25% of that trade, ending Brazil’s 15-year advantage, the data showed.

Despite remaining competitive “from the farm gate in,” Brazil lost ground to India and other exporters such as Turkey, the United States, France and Argentina amid a disruption of traditional shipping routes.

Brazilian shipments to Saudi Arabia that once took 30 days could now take up to 60 days, according to the Chamber, whereas India’s geographic advantages allow it to ship fruits, vegetables, sugar, grains and meat in as little as week.

Brazil’s agricultural exports to the Arab League rose just 1.4% by value to $8.17 billion last year. Between January and October this year, sales totaled $6.78 billion, up 5.5%, as logistics problems subsided, Chamber data showed.

China’s push to boost its own food inventories during the pandemic also diverted some of Brazil’s trade with the Arabs, leading countries such as Saudi Arabia to step up promotion of domestic food production, while seeking alternative suppliers.

“It’s a turning point. The Saudis are still big buyers, but they are also net re-exporters of food,” the Chamber said in a statement.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Continue Reading

National

“BJP Development? Coconut Breaks A Road Open!” Akhilesh Yadav Sneers – dot newz

Published

on

By


Lucknow:

Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav, ally Jayant Choudhary at his side, berated Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and the BJP on multiple issues today — including development, which the ruling party placed front and centre of the coming election. “What infrastructure has the BJP created,” he questioned, citing a recent headline from Bijnore that has raised many a chuckle in the state.

“The older tradition was — hit the coconut on the road and the coconut breaks. The new tradition they have started is hit the coconut on ground and the ground must break,” he told NDTV, speaking on the sidelines of a rally in Mathura attended by thousands.

Suchi Mausam Chaudhary, the BJP MLA from Bijnor Sadar, was left furious earlier this month at the traditional inauguration when bits of a 7-km road, renovated at a cost of Rs 1.16 crore, came off when struck by a coconut.

Challengers to the BJP government which came to power in the state with a sweeping mandate, the two leaders made a prediction. “Looking at anger among the people, BJP can even lose 400 seats. They will be wiped out in the western UP,” Akhilesh Yadav said.

Their sharpest barbs were reserved for Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.

In his address, Mr Yadav had spoken of the BJP “misrule” in terms of jobs, education development and farmers’ issues. Asked about his remark that the “Baba (Yogi Adityanath) just sits in Gorakhpur and rings a bell (while all this is happennig),” and how it would be received by the state’s Hindu voters, Rashtriya Lok Dal chief Jayant Chaudhary spoke up.

“Adityanath is not a symbol of Hindu unity, he can be questioned,” Mr Chaudhary said. “This is not an issue about Hindu pride but issues like unemployment. Adityanath said he will give 70 lakh jobs. Today, their own posters say they have given only four lakh jobs,” he added.

Akhilesh Yadav had other questions. “The Chief Minister should answer whether the man sitting in the jeep that mowed down farmers (in Lakhimpur Kheri) was the Union Home Minister’s son or not… Yogi must answer how many cases were against him that he removed himself after becoming the Chief Minister,” he added.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Dot Newz | Developed by MCVP Group 8