Connect with us

National

Srinagar Encounter: Clean Chit To Security Forces By Special Probe Team – dot newz

Published

on

[ad_1]

4 people, including a foreign terrorist, were killed during the Nov 15 encounter (Representational photo)

Srinagar:

A Special Investigation Team of the Jammu and Kashmir Police probing last month’s encounter in Srinagar’s Hyderpora has concluded that two civilians – a doctor and a businessman – were either used as human shields by terrorists or killed by terrorists.

The SIT had earlier said both Dr Mudasir Gul and businessman Altaf Bhat were harbouring terrorists or concealing information about terrorist presence in a commercial complex where the encounter was carried out on November 15. The building was owned by Mr Bhat.

According to the police, four people including a foreign terrorist were killed during the encounter. The families allege that three civilians were killed in a staged encounter and were used as human shield by the security forces. The police said the third local, Amir Margay, who was working at Dr Mudasir Gul’s office, was a close associate of killed Pakistani terrorist. 

The SIT is headed by Sujit Kumar, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Srinagar. Mr Kumar denied that he led the Hyderpora encounter and that there was a conflict of interest by heading the SIT probe. 

“Perhaps the foreign terrorist received instructions from outside that Dr Mudasir may have been behind the encounter. On this suspicion, he killed Dr Mudasir Gul in the attic,” said Mr Kumar.

“After killing Dr Mudasir, they used Altaf Bhat as a human shield while trying to flee. In the ensuing firing, Altaf Bhat was hit by a bullet. His body was found at the terrace with Amir Margay,” the SIT chief said. 

Mr Kumar said the Army and the Central Reserve Police Force or CRPF were also part of the Hyderpora encounter and it was the Army unit which provided the input about the presence of terrorists. This is for the first time when the Army was part of an encounter in the Srinagar city. So far, only police and CRPF have been carrying out anti-terrorists operations in city areas.

The police also defended releasing findings of the SIT probe when a magisterial probe ordered by the government has not been made public. “It will not influence the probe by additional district magistrate. The magisterial probe report has already been sent to judicial magistrate as mandated under law,” said Mr Vijay Kumar, Inspector General of Police.

The SIT chief said that Altaf Bhat and Dr Mudasir volunteered to help search the building when security forces launched the operation. But both didn’t tell them terrorists were hiding inside. 

“We asked Altaf sahib if he was sure that no one is inside. He and Dr Mudasir said no one is inside the building. Altaf asked Dr Mudasir come and let’s show them (security forces) that no one is inside building. He appeared confident. He didn’t even ask for bulletproof jacket after volunteering to for search the building,” said Sujit Kumar. 

On the death of the third civilian, Amir Margay, the SIT chief admitted he was initially let go after searches. Amir Margay left the building and instead of fleeing, he waited at a nearby hospital, Mr Kumar said. He added that after a half an hour, they called him back and asked him to search rooms to find if anyone is hiding in the building. “He feigned ignorance and said no one is inside. Amir was exposed after he was seen with the Pak terrorist inside and he also fired,” said Mr Kumar.

The SIT, Mr Kumar said, have collected technical, forensic evidence and recorded statements of 20 protected witnesses about the encounter and involvement and complicity of people killed in the encounter.

Former Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said the SIT probe is a cover up.

“SIT’s clear chit to armed forces in Hyderpora encounter isn’t surprising. It was purely a charade to cover up a botched up operation & absolve those culpable for killing innocent civilians. How can one expect justice when they themselves are judge, jury & executioner?” Ms Mehbooba tweeted.

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Shiv Sena, NCP To Contest Goa Assembly Elections Together – dot newz

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

Mumbai:

Shiv Sena and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) have decided to contest the upcoming Goa Assembly elections together in alliance, Shiv Sena leader and MP Sanjay Raut said on Sunday.

Speaking to ANI, Raut said, “Shiv Sena and NCP will contest together in Goa assembly elections. There will be a discussion on seat sharing on January 18. NCP’s senior leader Praful Patel will discuss seat-sharing formula in Goa on January 18. Only after that, it will be clear who will contest on how many seats.”

“Political dynamics are different in Maharashtra and Goa. NCP, Shiv Sena, Congress are in alliance in Maharashtra. However, at the moment Congress has decided to contest alone without forming an alliance with any other party in the state,” he said.

Goa elections are set to be held in a single phase on February 14. The counting of votes will be held on March 10.

In view of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections, Shiv Sena leader did not comment much on Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s decision to contest from Gorakhpur.

“I will not make any comment on Yogi ji’s decision to contest from Gorakhpur. He has been fielded from his native constituency. So, it is a good thing. I have heard that Aparna Yadav is going to join BJP. It’s good to know,” he said.

Yadav is the daughter in law of Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav.

Meanwhile, elections for the 403 assembly constituencies in Uttar Pradesh will be held in seven phases starting February 10, the Election Commission said. The polling in Uttar Pradesh will be held on February 10, 14, 20, 23, 27 and March 3 and 7 in seven phases.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

National

“India Feels Proud”: PM Modi On 1 Year Of Vaccination Drive – dot newz

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the vaccination drive added great strength to fight against Covid.

New Delhi:

Lauding India’s COVID-19 vaccination drive as it completes a year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said it has added great strength to the fight against the pandemic and has resulted in saving lives and protecting livelihoods.

When the pandemic first struck, not much was known about the virus. However, our scientists and innovators immersed themselves in developing vaccines, he said. India feels proud that our nation has been able to contribute to fighting the pandemic through vaccines, PM Modi tweeted.

“I salute each and every individual who is associated with the vaccination drive,” he said, adding that the role of our doctors, nurses and healthcare workers is exceptional.

“When we see glimpses of people being vaccinated in remote areas, or our healthcare workers taking the vaccines there, our hearts and minds are filled with pride,” he said.

The prime minister asserted that India’s approach to fighting the pandemic will always remain science based. Health infrastructure is also being augmented to ensure that fellow citizens get proper care, he said, asking people to keep following all COVID-19 related protocols.

The countrywide vaccination drive against COVID-19 on Sunday completed one year, during which over 156.76 crore vaccine doses were administered.

According to Health Ministry officials, over 92 per cent of the adult population have received at least one dose while over 68 per cent have been fully vaccinated. The Centre will issue a postal stamp this afternoon to mark the completion of one year of the inoculation drive.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

National

“We Invite You”: Maharashtra’s Red Carpet For Elon Musk After Telangana – dot newz

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

Elon Musk had said Tesla is “working through” a lot of challenges with the Indian government. (File)

New Delhi:

Another state has now invited US billionaire Elon Musk to invest after he said that electric car pioneer Tesla was “working through” a lot of challenges with the Indian government ahead of long-awaited plans to launch in the country.

After Telangana’s invitation earlier this week, a Maharashtra minister today offered Mr Musk a place to set up Tesla’s manufacturing plant in his state.

Maharashtra Water Resources Minister Jayant Patil, in a reply to Mr Musk’s tweet, said, “Maharashtra is one of the most progressive states in India. We will provide you all the necessary help from Maharashtra for you to get established in India.”

“We invite you to establish your manufacturing plant in Maharashtra,” the Nationalist Congress Party leader added.

Earlier, Telangana minister KT Rama Rao had invited the Tesla Inc’s chief executive to set shop in his state and said that his government will be “happy to partner Tesla in working through the challenges”.

Mr Musk, in response to a tweet asking him about a potential India launch date, had not identified the “challenges” being worked on with the government.

Tesla had plans to begin selling imported cars in India last year and has been lobbying the government to lower import duties, which can be as high as 100 percent, on electric vehicles before it enters the market.

Elon Musk had tweeted last July that Tesla wanted to enter India “but import duties are the highest in the world by far of any large country”.

Even as Tesla is holding out for a cut in import duties, luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz will start assembling the electric version of its flagship S-Class sedan, the EQS, in India later this year.



[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Dot Newz | Developed by MCVP Group 8